Sunday, August 25, 2013

Family Reunion

There's nothing like a family reunion, a seemingly 'thing of the past' that I am proud to take part in many many miles from home.  This special gathering is a celebration with my dad's side of the family.

Here in Hanska, Minnesota, memories of the 'good ol' days' flood the minds of my relatives as we gather for a summer picnic at the family farm.  




With the same enthusiasm as a small town kid looks at a shiny big city, I enjoy the every moment in the rural countryside.  Surrounded by cornfields and blue skies, we spend the day on the farm where my grandpa grew up.  Yup, it's still in the family, thanks to my dad's cousin Dennis & Clarie!  Few places in my life have this much history and charm.



My dad recalls the first place he shot a basket on a true walk down memory lane.


I love the thoughtful touches: a Norwegian flag on each of our name tags nods to our family heritage.
 

 

I met all kinds of kind folks in the family, cousins of cousins and cousins once removed???  While I may not technically have a clue who any of these people are, I do know this, they are family.  :P

We're all here because of the cousins.


My Aunt Sue led the blessing and food was served.




 


We ate,


We reminisced,





We looked at family photos and artifacts,


We played lawn games,


What else do you do at a family reunion?  

Oh, bonus attraction: the labyrinth!  

 

The family reunion also was the 10th wedding anniversary of my dad's cousin Dennis and Clarie!  


Clarie shared the 10th ring and final ring of her Norweigan Wedding Cake, kransekake!  As part of the tradition, she's kept it in her fridge for 10 years since her wedding day!  Surprisingly, still edible.  I live to tell the tale.  :P 

 

Happy to reconnect with all these long lost folks, the person we missed most was my grandma, who is steadily recovering from a broken leg.  Hope she is back on her feet soon!  Get well g-ma!

 

We were glad we were able to take her to dinner to celebrate her 92nd birthday!  We went to the best restaurant in St. James, Minnesota, where else, but the Hickory!

Many meals shared here over the years and hopefully many more to come.

No comments: